Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Micah's Sesame Street Party!


When we began to plan Micah's second birthday it wasn't hard to decide on the theme. This kid is obsessed with all things Sesame Street. I wanted the party to be a good balance between his eyes lighting up when he saw it, and simple and laid back. Judging by the look on his face when he came up the stairs, I'd say we did a pretty good job!



sesame street party elmo outfit

I had to look pretty hard for what I wanted for his outfit, but I'm very happy with what I found! The suspenders and bow tie he wore came from Etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/179379617/elmo-bow-tie-and-red-suspenders-or ). We got countless compliments on them, and tons of adorable pictures! My concern was that he wouldn't want to keep them on all during the party, but he was having so much fun he didn't pay them any attention.


sesame street birthday partyeasy diy sesame street birthday party

I probably spent the most time on the Micah Street sign, but it was well worth it. I simply flattened a cardboard box and sketched out the shapes for the sign. I did it in four pieces, which I later glued together. The pieces are the circle on top, the oval under it, the pole, the base and the Micah sign itself. I used a pencil, ruler, a box cutter and two different sized bowls (for getting the circular shapes right). The parts that probably took the most time was tracing his name on and the actual painting. I also had my sister use chalk to draw muppet footprints leading up to the steps (and since she's eleven she had fun doing it). Now that the party is over we hung the sign on his door!



easy sesame street decorations diy birthday party

We used to fireplace to do most of the decorating. We didn't want to spend a lot of money, so we made a lot of the decorations. The character banner was a free printable I found which I taped to ribbon. I used a free online photo editor to make the Micah is 2 picture. The ones he probably most enjoyed were the cookie monster and elmo paper fans. We printed off the faces and glued them onto paper fans we purchased at walmart. To add more decorations we pretty much gathered every sesame street book and toy to use as decorations.



free printable elmo banner happy birthday sesame street

For this Elmo birthday banner I found a free printable download. I punched holes on each side of the pieces and used those to tie bows on them I also used the ribbon to connect all of the pieces. 
Elmo banner: http://halegrafx.com/printables/free-printable-elmo-sesame-street-birthday-banner/



white sesame street cake cookie monster elmo round birthdaywhite sesame street cake elmo cookie monster birthday round

We got his birthday cake from Dick's Marketplace, and honestly it's even better than I described to them. It's white cake with whipped frosting, and they used mini m&m's to put all around the sides and decorate the top. I love everything about it, and now the cars on top are some of Micah's favorite toys!


DIY free printable sesame street decorations easy birthday party

We used more toys to put on the table for decoration. We had a BBQ and served hot dogs, burgers, chips, guacamole, french onion soup dip, grapes and water. I found more printables to put on the water bottles and use as napkin rings. The napkin rings are actually more water bottle labels that I simply printed in a smaller size to use. We bought the napkins, plates and table cloth from Shopko. 















1 comment:

  1. How cute, Micah's Sesame Street Party was. he is so happy to have this themed event organized from him. This one is a fun bash and I really admire your skills. I too would go with the DIY themed bash for my son’s 5th birthday but won’t host it at the home, rather looking for the affordable deals on local party venue.

    ReplyDelete